Competitive Youth Climbing Team
The River Rock has not been able to field a competitive team for the last three years. We continue our search for a coaching staff that can work with the youth that has experience in a competitive climbing format.
The River Rock Youth Climbing Team Coach will be responsible for the collaborative implementation of curriculum for the competitive Youth Climbing Team. This role involves facilitating practices designed to support youth climbers in their development as athletes. Youth Climbing Team Coach will contribute to forwarding the goals and mission of the River Rock Climbing Gym, as well as develop the facility’s reach into elite level performance climbing.
The coaching staff will be responsible to develop the physical and mental strength of the team members. They will develop a program that is specific to the age and body type of each competitive climber. The goal is to prepare each team member to be prepared for all levels of competitive climbing in their age group.
Coaching staff are to facilitate a caring and positive environment where communication between coaching, team participants, and parents is paramount and to help all youth accomplish their goals more efficiently.
- Articulate a mission statement and core values for Team River Rock that are in line with the mission and values of River Rock Climbing Gym.
- Maintain the requirements of a Level 2 USA Climbing Certified Coach throughout the season.
- Implement individual coaching strategies for each youth on the competitive climbing team. Design and implement training plans and programs for all team participants that emphasize the physical, emotional health and safety of all athletes.
- Attend and oversee all scheduled practices or secure coverage when unable to attend. This will include weekly coaching sessions, as well as coaching at competitions.
- Maintain a constant line of communication with team parents and athletes about performance and progression; distribute relevant information regarding practices, team events, and competitions.
- Stay up to date with modern training research pertaining to climbing and youth athletic development.
- Travel with qualifying athletes to USAC Local, Regional, Divisional, and National level competitions.
- Communicate the setting-specific needs with the Head Route Setter and ensure that those needs are met in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with all coaches and General Manager to implement a climbing and training curriculum for the competition season and beyond.
- Be an active part of River Rock’s management team and attend regularly scheduled meetings.
- Be an active member in the local climbing and outdoor community and a positive advocate for the River Rock.
- Salary DOE: ranging $20-25 hour
- Travel Per Diem & mileage reimbursement
- First Aid & CPR Certification provided
- Paid personal development opportunities
- Free River Rock membership for employee (and nuclear family under the same roof)
- Discounts on gear purchases and access to pro-deals
Interested individuals should contact Jared@riverrockclimbing.com
Our Youth Competitive Climbing Team welcomes youth of all skill levels looking to challenge themselves in a competitive climbing format. Competition climbing is an exciting individual sport which promotes physical strength and confidence. In addition, climbing helps youth build lasting friendships and a good work ethic. As a member of the Team, you will participate in two 2 hour practices a week and participate in a number of local competitions.
Participation in the Competitive Team is by the coaches’ invitation, so you must attend the Open Tryout session.
Team members must be youth members of the gym, own their own climbing shoes, and will be responsible to climb and workout over and above the two coached sessions a week.